Monday, June 20, 2011

Reflections

Sunday night, sitting and reflecting on all the things that have happened over the past week, where has time gone. Now its Monday
wow, tomorrow I will have 3 weeks left, I can't believe that!  I am so overwhelmed, impressed, in love, excited, moved, and inspired.
I will admit it is hard and annoying that I don't know the language, but I'm picking up more every day that I spend with the kids, and
I LOVE that time more than anything else I have done, and I'm sure will do!!!  My roomates and I are spending time together tonight
cooking and listening to Honduras music... I just made my specialty quacamole...all natural, and chicken fijitas with Pontos...he is
so funny, just like a kid...like my bro kinda he had to play butcher and clean, skin, and dice the chicken legs, breasts, and wings...it was
a good time. We went to the fruit stand down from the house I got 3 avacados, one red onion, 4 tomatoes, 3 bananas, 1 pineapple
3 green pepers, 3 apples and maybe something else and I spend 120 lemps, which is 5 dollars and some change...I LOVE IT!!!
 We just got back from the SOS where we spent about 3 hours playing frisbee having conversations, hugging and loveing on all
the kids, and a little bit of tutoring...yeow, that was rough!!!  How do you explain greater than and less than in Espanol....especially w
when you don't know any!!!  Today we also went to El Centro and toured some public schools with a lady named Carol, a retired teacher and
principal that Roy ran into.  She spoke some English, and was a very nice lady!!!  At this point we will be working at a couple schools teaching
english and doing homework help at a bilingual school...hopefully I can help...math is def not my specialty...or spelling...oh geezzz,
maybe I will learn something.  Most of these kids are so eager to learn...if you just sit down and are looking at a book they want to read, or
help you understand something...it is so wonderful!  Some students are resistant, but I believe its because they are shy on not confident...
today Harrison was sitting on the fence with a very sad look on his face, I walked over to him smiled and he reached for me...I held him for
a long time...we walked around and hugged...it was so sweet, he just needed some love, then he was ready to play...frisbee and chase, I've realized
those games work no matter what language you speak :) Later a couple girls asked me if I could give them my eyes...apparent.y they have a fasination with blue eyes!  I am very eager for tomorrow and at the same time feeling sad, because its as if I will just get
my feet wet and have to leave...the whole time I have been here I feel as though I have been so torn...I am truly in love with this place and have
thought about how in the world I could make this my life for a while, but logistically it won't work immediatly...I know I would very much miss
my family and I would have to bring Cleo...which would be super hard because these dogs here would eat her alive...I do miss her so much! I know all
 of this seems very premature, and maybe by the end of the next 3 weeks I will feel drastically different and want to come home, but I'm not so sure...
I feel at this point I very badly want to work with this population, I want to start taking spanish classes and learn all I can about this culture,
I love it!  Not to mention, the guys are very attractive as well, but most of them speak spanish so when they approch me, I'm super screwed!!! HA!
There is a school here, where you can learn spanish, 4 hours a day 5 days a week for 139$, not too bad I don't think...we will see I'm not sure it will
fit into the schedule of volunteering...all of this is just so new and interesting...It is so hard to explain, but all I can say is I'm loving every minute
 of it.  Even though there have been several times in the past week where I have been very scared, nervous, and anxious traveling, switching buses, meeting
new people, learning to trust them, worrying if we are on the right bus, doing the right thing, taking the right cab, staying in the right hotel...it all is so overwhelming...

No comments:

Post a Comment