Monday, June 13, 2011

I made it!

This place is unbelievable...really and truly amazing in so many ways.  As I sit in my hammock on the front porch of my home for the next month the parrot (not sure his name) one of many pets next door is trying to talk to me :)  Daisy, my new dog friend is keeping me company sleeping under the hammock, ocassionaly biting my butt, she is 4 months old. There are so many beautiful noises to take it, all the birds, the cool breeze russeling the banana and mango trees, the dogs barking, the beautiful language...it is all so amazing!
I want to start by telling you about my travels...My first flight went well I paid 120 $ to get all the donations plus minimal clothes here...they each weight about 68lbs...there were several ppl on my flight from Dallas to Miami that were headed to the same area so I tried to follow them when I got to Miami...btw, Miami is BEAUTIFL to fly into!!!  we flew around the city, into the ocean and then back around, amazing areal view!!!  When I got on  the plane to San Pedro I met George and Iolani and older couple from Le Ceba, but now live in San Pedro. They tried to give me lots of advice, don't go to La Ceba at night, even in groups, exchange money in the airport, Tela (where I am) has the most beautiful beaches in ALL of Honduras... George went on to ask me my age...and then he laughed...he said what do you each and wash your face with...you look 18!!!  So sweet, thanks George :) They told me I had to try the beans and rice...it is eaten at EVERY meal...I have yet to do so ...When I arrived, I walked with them to customs, they helped me fill out my papers on the plane and then I was off, searching like crazy for my bags, 15 minutes later, I'm trying to navigate close to 150lb of stuff throught the masses of Honduras, I look up and see a sign that says Honduras Children, I smile and say, thats me!!! Roy takes my things and we get into the car together, and we are off...speeding down the road at what feels like 150 mph dodging trucks, passing trucks and bikers like crazy!!! Roy is my Landlord, his "lady" Dina also lives next door.  He really has no connection with the orphanage they just are here to house us. Roy and I have great conversation (he speaks pretty good english) and he tells me lots about what to do in Honduras. I get to the house and I am in total shock and disbelief at how amazing and beautiful it was.  I had a quick intro to my roomates and a tour of the grounds, with a cervesa of coures!!! Then it was a little to unpack and off to the beach with my new roomates.  The beach was so wonderful, water was warm and the sand was HOTTT! Some guy friends that Samantha and Carly have met (Andy from New Orleans and Maynard from Honduras, lives in Huston, TX) they brought some drinks and we sat and watched the sun set...WOW! Andy and Maynard then took us to get cervesas and papusas (a tortilla pita type thing stuffed with cheese, or cheese and pork with a cabbage relish think on top....so yummy!)  Best part we didn't have to pay for it and they drove us home :) Back home we took our cold showers and got ready for a night out...We went to a night club (which we did not pay for either) up the road where a local band was playing...talk about funny!!!  They would play a song in spanish and then they would play Guns and Roses, Hondurans love Sweet Child of MINE ;)  They also played One, by U2...after me starting to fall asleep, after all I had been up for 24 hrs, the local DJ's started dropping some hard beats...THAT was fun!!! Lots of dancing, lots of cervesas....then home to bed, where I was so tired I slept until 10 the next day :)  The next day was a FULL day in Honduras.  This week in called Carnival, it is a local celebration of the city.  So the kids are not in school this week, I will be traveling  (hopefully) A LOT!!!  So we got around and I went to the mini super (for food) up the road, I will post the picks of what I got...then we went to try and put money on my phone, that didn't work out...so we came back, ate and headed to the beach.  I have found that from sweating so much it is hard to keep sunscreen and bug repellant on...oh well.  We got ready and went back to the beach where they were selling snow cones and coconuts...I haven't tried it yet, but plan to before I leave :)  I stayed in the ocean a lot, it was refreashing. Carly decided  to take me into town to get minutes on my phone and to the Large Super...everything was closed, but we did have a super jugo (pina y mango) smoothie type thing...SOOOOO  GOOD!!  After we got home I took a siesta in the hammock and then got ready to go over to the orphanage to meet some kids with Carly.  They were so interested in me, they didn't care that my spanish sucked!  They wanted to hug take pictures, play hand games, watch soccer and play volleyball.  I was so amazed at these children, I almost cried!!!  They range from 18-babies and they ALL take care of each other, on BIG family.  Such sweet kids, they look happy and like they are having so much fun, I just home they get the nurturing they need.  We  then came back and got ready to go to Andy and Maynard's resort to watch the NBA last game (in spanish, no less)  I had great convo with Maynard, he is trying to teach me spanish. There place was nice and about a 2 minute walk to  the beach, so we took cervesas and walked along the beach under the moon, so breath taking!  We had an amazing time and I hope for Maynard to continue to teach me more Spanish :)

The biggest things that are different here, well there are A LOT! You cannot flush toilet paper...hmmm that sucks!  If the water runs out, you must plug in a pump to take a shower.  We go across the street to buy drinking water...and everyone lives minute to minute...  Will write more when I have time...I need to go eat breakfast before we go back into town to shop...

1 comment:

  1. How exciting!! I am thrilled for you and can't wait to keep up with all of your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete